SAFE PATROLLING DURING COVID
We are expecting an increased beach visitation this summer due to ongoing travel restrictions and a forecast of hot temperatures so we know it will be a very busy beach this season. Unless advised otherwise by the authorities, we will commence the patrol season on 26 September 2020 with COVID restrictions. Safe return to patrols is our focus and we have a Covid Safety Plan which is updated regularly and on the front page of our website. You can also head to Surf Life Saving Sydney Northern Beaches or SLSNSW websites for updates on COVID.
Keeping our Lifesavers Safe
Our front line lifesavers are top of mind and so we have put in place some precautions you must familiarise yourself with when on patrol in order to protect our community and keep Covid safe so please click through the information sheets on this page. Additional precautions this season include:
- We have scaled back skills maintenance (proficiency) requirements for the Bronze Medallion and Surf Rescue Certificate. This season DRY proficiency will be conducted online via the members portal with your login. WET proficiency will consist of a run-swim-run and tube rescue of a conscious patient or solo paddle, conducted on your patrol by your patrol captain
- We have changed the way we will be administering first aid and performing resuscitation – we are encouraging self-treatment where possible, advising against performing rescue breaths. Please click through the instructions on this page
- We require our lifesavers to wear PPE including gloves and masks for situations where treatment is required and physical contact with patients is unavoidable. Please watch the 2 minute video on this page
- We have clear guidelines around the expectations of lifesavers in their interactions with the public – specifically there is no expectation that members will be policing physical distancing on beaches. You will find more in the Covid Information Pack on this page
- We encourage members to also consider downloading the Federal Government’s COVIDsafe App. The app speeds up contacting people exposed to COVID-19, helping to support and protect you, your friends and family.
If you feel uncomfortable patrolling this season, please do let us know as soon as possible to assist with our planning.
We are committed to keeping all members of the club safe, and we thank you for your support and understanding in these changing times. As Government restrictions continue to change prior to season start, we will endeavour to update you on information as it becomes available.