Queensie Nippers have access to amazing coaches who aim to develop skills, confidence and resilience in the water and on the sand.
Training schedules are on StackTeamApp Calendar. Please make sure you are signed up for any changes or cancellations.
Please RSVP for each session so coaches know numbers for each sessions, in particular for Water sessions so we can have appropriate Water Safety ratios.
Sunday 7am – 8am at Queensie (May change when Nippers commences)
Tuesday 7am – 8am at Queensie
Thursday 4.30pm – 5.30pm at Queensie
Sunday 8.15am – 9am at Queensie
Weekly Session TBC
Beach Training Session will ramp up to 2 or so sessions during the season, (one session during the week & a session before nippers on Sundays)
- Beach Training Overview
- All young athletes will stretch & warm up together.
- Following warm-ups we may break into 2 main groups. Sprints & Distance Runners. (depending on numbers)
- Training is inclusive to all runners – the drills will ensure all athlete levels get maximum benefit from each session.
- All athletes will finish together with “game-based” training activities and warm down exercises.
Our Beach Coaching Team.
Sean Keating recently moved to Queenscliff SLSC after 25+ years at Palm Beach SLSC achieving Branch, State & Aussies Gold Titles for the 2km Beach Run Race. Sean’s coaching philosophy centers around the joy of distance beach running, creating an environment where nippers can explore the joys of running while developing fundamental skills. By incorporating playful activities and positive reinforcement, Sean aims to give all young athletes a sense of accomplishment and excitement for beach running.
BOARD TRAINING, BOARD ALLOCATION and BOARD CARE
At Queensie nippers, during the season we offer three board training sessions a week.
We are very pleased to have Harrison Stone heading up our Nipper/Youth Water Team at Queensie. An Elite International Athlete and an Australian Silver Medallist in Surf Life Saving, our Nippers are extremely lucky to benefit from Harry’s competitive experience. Being a physio, Harrison brings a unique coaching skill set with a focus on technique for our younger athletes. He provides a wholistic approach to training and is engaged in watching the kids grow, develop and most of all having fun along the way! He is assisted by a crew with a wealth of expertise including Masters competitors Nathan Krieger, Kevin Harris, Ian Poole and Peter Nankervis. Intermediate and beginner paddlers are often ably assisted by the legendary Col White and John O’Toole as well as our expert and experienced water safety crew.
Please also understand that water safety requirements are one per five nippers in the water. Hence you will note that trainers and water safety will only allow a certain amount of nippers in the water at any one time. These numbers are dependent on surf conditions and the amount of water safety present.
THE QUEENSIE WAY
At Queensie we pride ourselves on inclusiveness, competence and competition. We will make every effort to ensure that your nipper learns skills in board paddling, either at training or within the board sessions at nippers. Our experienced water safety crew are bronze qualified, and have spent many years at carnivals and board training. They have the skills to keep your nipper safe. So please make sure you respect and listen to our Water Safety Team as they assist the trainers.
Board allocation is earnt via commitment to board training and competition. Each year we allocate boards to nippers for either the winter or summer season depending on board numbers. For boards to be allocated the following conditions apply;
- Parents sign a contract understanding that they pay a rental fee for the board for the season that it’s allocated (winter or summer)
- Parents sign that they’re responsible for the repairs required during the use of the board including the cost
- Parents are required to purchase a board cover for fibreglass boards
- Nippers must attend board training during the winter board training season
- Nippers must attend a minimum of two board training sessions per week during the summer season
- Nippers must attend Sunday nipper sessions and NOT leave after board training
- Nippers must compete for Queenscliff for at least three carnivals during the nipper season
- Nippers must compete for Queenscliff at branch and state carnivals
- All parents of these nippers need to ensure that the fibreglass board is scrutinised
- ALL PARENTS of nippers with allocated boards must provide either THREE water safety or official shifts at carnivals throughout the season
- Re-allocation/ board musters usually occur in NOV/DEC for summer and APRIL for winter.
We ask for your patience, when boards are not available. If this is the case, boards may need to be shared at competition, or the competitive nipper can take a club board for that particular carnival.
PLEASE USE THE RIGHT BOARDS – LOOK FOR A RED STICKER. We ask that if you don’t have an allocated board that you use one of the club boards during training or nippers, these have a red sticker.
BOARDS allocated will typically be kept in a board cover and/or should have the nippers name written on the board across the nose of the board. This board is allocated to a nipper for training, competitions and general nippers. Please DON’T USE ALLOCATED BOARDS for GENERAL USE. Boards can become easily damaged in the surf. When a board is mistreated they can be dinged and will crack and are very costly to repair.
Our competitive nippers are regularly trained in how to care for boards. We have put together a guide so as to assist your nipper with the maintenance of the boards. Replacements/repairs to boards are costly. We appreciate our nippers respecting the equipment they use.
We ask that you please:
- always carry your board, never drag it
- check your board before you use it, and after you are finished. Please check for dings or cracks. If there are dings or cracks, please notify one of the water safety crew, your age manager, or ideally Gear Steward Honnie Bustos.
- Please wash your board before it goes back in the nipper boardroom or the trailer.
Further enquiries about board allocation or board care please contact email@example.com